Gottman Level 1
Bridging the Couple Chasm
Gottman Couples Therapy: A NEW Research-Based Approach!
April 22-23, 2013 Lethbridge, AB at the Family Centre.
sponsered by: the Family Centre and Deep Waters Counselling
Note: This workshop is a prerequisite to the level 2 training.
Workshop for clinicians and anyone else that is wanting to work with couples and use the Gottman Method of Couples therapy.
The training reviews Dr. Gottman’s three decades of research on what makes marriages succeed or fail, and teaches a therapy that helps troubled marriages. The workshop provides a wealth of information about couples dynamics, marital assessment, couples exercises and therapeutic interventions. All materials may be used in private practice settings.
Presenters: Lawrence Stoyanowski and Darren Wilk are Certified Gottman Therapists with a wealth of experience working with the method and 2 of 8 therapists in the world teaching the level 2 Gottman workshop. They come highly recommended by The Gottman Organization and have presented numerous times in this capacity. They also are senior consultants mentoring therapists in their certification process.
You will learn what Dr. Gottman’s research tells us about couples, including:
- How married couples really sustain their marriages–in contrast to common myths and misconceptions.
- How the quality of relationships affects the immune system, physical health and well being.
How marital problems change over time, but never go away–even in happy couples.
In this inspirational two-day workshop, you’ll also learn:
- How to help understand couples’ struggles using new research-based assessments and effective interventions
- Research-based strategies and tools to help couples successfully manage conflict
- Skills that empower couples to dialogue about their worst gridlocked issues by uncovering their underlying dreams, history, and values
- Techniques to help couples presenting with multiple co-morbidities including incest, the effects of poverty, PTSD and infidelity
- Methods to help couples process their fights and heal their hurts
- Techniques for couples to deepen their intimacy and minimize relapse
- Methods to help couples feel a renewed sense of caring and partnership through emotional connection.
You’ll view video of Dr. John Gottman’s research with couples and see extensive films from the Gottmans’ clinical office demonstrating their use of Gottman Method therapy with their clients.
You’ll receive a 300-page Clinical Manual Featuring new relationship assessment questionnaires and clinical interventions that you’ll be able to use immediately with your clients.
Clinicians who take this workshop will be equipped with new methods and tools to help couples break the cycle of criticism, defensiveness, contempt and stonewalling. Through demonstrations and films from the clinical office, you’ll see how to apply the research-based principles and interventions of Gottman Method Couples Therapy to strengthen:
- The Friendship System – the building block for intimacy, passion, and good sex
- The Conflict System – the basis for helping couples manage solvable problems and understand and manage unresolvable differences
- The Shared Meaning System – the existential foundation of the relationship that helps couples create shared purpose in building a life together
Participants will be able to:
1. Summarize the research that allows prediction of future relationship stability.
2. Describe the seven levels of the Sound Relationship House theory.
3. Conduct a couple’s therapy assessment using elements of the couple’s narrative, the Oral History Interview, written questionnaires, observations of conflict, and individual interviews.
4. Describe two interventions for each: to help strengthen a couple’s management of conflict, to enhance a couple’s friendship system, and to explore a couple’s system of shared meaning.
Registration Below for the Lethbridge AB Workshop April 22-23, 2013
The cost: Regular $500
Early Registration $425 before March 29th, 2013 per person which includes morning and afternoon snacks.
Student rate is $350 You must provide proof of enrollment. (GST will be added to all costs) *please note cancellation policy below.
Group rates for early registration only. $400 pp for 5-9 ; $375 for 10-14 pp and $350 pp for 15 or more. (Please call)
Student Group rates for early registration. $300 pp for 5-9 ; $275 pp for 10-14 and $250 for 15 or more. (Please call)
Location: Family Centre, Suite 225 in the Lethbridge Centre tower, which is located at 200 4 Avenue South, Lethbridge, AB, family centre
Time: 9 to 4:30 both days. Registration 8:30 first day
Register online now! or call 604-539-5277 for more information. (Please provide phone number when asked)
LIMITED SEATS. This event will sell out!
Option 1. = Early registration by March 29th, 2013, $425 plus GST
Option 2. = Standard registration after March 29th, 2013, $500 plus GST